Will this affect me?
If you're looking at N-PORT filings data, approximately 15% of all filings will have one or more positions whose CUSIP will be auto-corrected by Excel into a number. If you're looking at NAIC transaction data, approximately 51% of life, property and casualty insurers will have one or more transactions in such securities. Data updated as of Sept4, 2021.
None of the data in your spreadsheet will leave your browser and hit any remote servers. To verify, hit F12 (Developer Tools) on your browser and watch the Network tab.
Links and Other Resources
- Brief Overview of the Problem and Possible Solutions
- Some thoughts about the problem on superuser.com
- Regular Expression that matches all ambiguous CUSIPs
- Our List of all Fixed Income CUSIPs Excel auto-corrects to numbers
- In genomics, scientists renamed genes rather than trying to change Excel, article link.